Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Maybe I Should Add a Feather

My go-to guy hasn't gotten back to me with the background check just yet. It's hasn't even been 24 hours, yet I'm anxious to see if there's anything more. I don't think there will be, regardless; he strikes me as the too-careful-to-be-caught type, anyway. Still, I'm - as I said - anxious to find out.


For now, I'll have to settle with being annoyed.

So here's a story: I'm somewhere between 1 & 3/8 Native American - I round to 1/4, since it's right in the middle of the two. Seems like a great idea to me. (Family is Blackfoot, from Montana; Cherokee, from who-knows-where; and Sioux, also from who-knows-where. It adds up to a lot.) I don't look it; I don't care. I probably look very Irish, French, or some other something that I have in my blood.

I am a bonafide mutt. No lie.

...But I know enough about where I come from to actually be insulted when someone calls me "Pocahontas."
1.) Not from her tribe. Don't descend from any of the New England tribes.
2.) It's not cool with someone fixates on one tiny part of your heritage and practically gets off on it. It can, you know, make getting called "Pocahontas" a little insulting. And a little scary. And maybe just weird.
3.) Seriously, it's getting weird.

So, here's a life lesson for the day: Keep it overly professional. Not overtly, overly.
Don't give anyone who may be a potential psycho information that he can fixate on. (How I was supposed to know he'd fixate on something like that is beyond me, but seriously....)
In that, I suppose, certain people will *find* something to fixate on.

Like this.
In class, he's convinced that I don't even notice anyone but him exists. Hi, I pay equal attention to all of my clients, but I appreciate the insult. Fucker. Now, I'll pay less attention to you even though it won't work. It might, however, make me feel slightly better.

It's a pity - opportunities like the one he presented to me...Well, they don't come along every day. I really wanted to be involved with what he was doing. Really, it probably sounds like one of the coolest ideas I've heard in a really long time. I ... don't want to be involved that badly, however, so I guess I'll just take the loss and keep going.

And why is it that (and I don't even think I'm pretty) being slightly attractive seems to do more harm than help? It ruins everything. I don't need to know that you find me attractive. I don't care; keep it to your gosh-darn self. While you're at it, keep your thoughts at a professional level; and for my sake, at least *pretend* to take me seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment